Have you received a Social Security overpayment? Here’s what you need to know:

Have you recently received more Social Security money than you normally receive each month? In this case, you may not have to pay back the extra money because the Social Security Administration has issued new rules regarding overpayments. In March, SSA Commissioner Martin O’Malley submitted one Four-step plan to help benefit recipients who receive overpayments without knowing that their benefits have not actually increased.

CNET Money Tips logo CNET Money Tips logo

If a Social Security recipient receives more money than they should, they typically have to pay it all back, either through reduced monthly payments or as a lump sum – even if it’s an error by the SSA. These repayments can negatively impact people who rely on their monthly Social Security payments to pay for housing and other bills.

We’ll explain what happens to Social Security overpayments and how this could affect you. More information can be found here Social Security Payment Schedule and you can find information about it here Maximum amount of Social Security you can receive each month.

How does Social Security overpayment occur?

There are several reasons why overpayments can occur: according to the Social Security Administration – For example, you start a new job and do not report your work on time, or you continue to receive payments during an appeal.

The SSA says it treats overpayments on a case-by-case basis. So if you receive a notification, it’s best to contact the agency, especially if you think it’s a mistake. In the event of an error, you can appeal.

How will the new rules affect Social Security repayments?

On March 20, 2024, Commissioner O’Malley unveiled a four-step plan to change how applicants who receive an overpayment can repay it.

First, starting March 25, the Social Security Administration will no longer take back 100% of Social Security benefits if a claimant does not respond to a request for repayment. The default withholding tax amount is now 10%.

Second, plaintiffs no longer have to prove whether they themselves caused the overpayments. Instead, this responsibility falls on the agency if it believes that the beneficiary is at fault for receiving the overpayment.

Thirdly, the repayment period is extended from 36 months to 60 months. This longer payback period gives beneficiaries more time to pay, so less money is taken out of their monthly checks.

Finally, the agency will make it easier for beneficiaries to apply for forgiveness if they are not at fault or cannot afford to repay the money.

Working on tax returns Working on tax returns

You can apply for forgiveness of Social Security overpayments.

James Bricknell/CNET

How to Apply for Forgiveness of Social Security Overpayments or Appeal

If you believe you are not at fault for the Social Security overpayments you received, you can either apply for forgiveness or appeal. Find out how to do it.

Apply for an exemption:

If you agree that you overpaid but don’t believe you have to pay back the overpayment because the overpayment wasn’t your fault or you can’t afford the repayment, you can apply for a waiver. There is no deadline for requesting an exemption, as long as you can prove that it was not your fault or that repaying the money would pose a hardship.

To request a waiver, you must submit an application Form SSA-632. Once you have filled it out, you can either mail it or have it delivered to you nearest social security office.

Do not use this form if you believe there was no fault and your overpayment is $1,000 or less. Instead, apply for an exemption by calling 1-800-772-1213 or your local Social Security office. It may also be possible to process your request by telephone.

File an appeal:

If you don’t think you overpaid or the amount stated in your cancellation is correct, you can appeal – here’s how to do it.

Before filing, make sure you have the SSA notice and all supporting documents on hand. Once you’re ready, go to and click Start an appeal, and then follow the on-screen instructions. Please note that you have 60 days from the date you received the original overpayment notice (five days after the date listed in the notice) to file your complaint.

Further information about social security can be found here how to apply for benefits. Also, Learn how to create a My Social Security account here.

Source link